Huge oil usage - poor Evohome settings?

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
MaxRos

Huge oil usage - poor Evohome settings?

Post by MaxRos »

Hi!
I just got a Evohome with HR92 valves to control my oil usage from my Grant Vortex boiler (new as well). This is my first time using an oil boiler, but I was very surprised to see that just trying to keep the indoors temperature to 15 degrees used up to 24 litres of oil in the one day based on my oil monitor (Watchman Sensit)! Could this be due to poor/inadequate Evohome settings? The initial settings were 6 cycles per hour and 1min minimum boiler runtime, I have now changed this to 3 and 5minutes as per some recommendations I have read here. Would this be enough? Are there more settings I should consider changing to optimise my usage?

Thanks a million!
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Huge oil usage - poor Evohome settings?

Post by Richard »

Oil is expensive to run I'm afraid. evohome can only improve things, but isn't a miricle worker! ;)

Must be on 3 cycles per hour and 4-5 minutes min on time.

Is the boiler external? If so are the pipes lagged through the walls?
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
MaxRos

Post by MaxRos »

Hi,
Yes the boiler is external. Pipes are below ground and lagged throughout. Maybe it was the old settings (6 cycles and 1min) which made things worse, I will do a bit more testing when I have time. I was coming from a poorly insulated house heated up with gas and no smart control, so I was probably hoping for too much and ran the system too high too! Thanks again!
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Don't forget if the oil boiler is external it will have frost protection which will waste oil too during cold periods.
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home