Installing in large houses can TRV's communicate with Contro

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
tlake

Post by tlake »

I have a rather large property and will require 17 TRV's for my system to operate properly. Obviously I'm concerned that TRV's which are furthers away from the Controller may not be able to communicate properly. Is there a finite distance from the controller to the TRV and if so what is it and have you experienced any issues with installing into large homes previously?
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Installing in large houses can TRV's communicate with Co

Post by Richard »

Some info is here - https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/en/content ... -do-i-need

I would do the signal strength test first before anything else.
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
fg61044

Post by fg61044 »

I agree with the merit of the recmmended communications test before investing large sums of money in a large Evohome system.

I have a large installation that required 20+ TRVs and two Evohome contollers for the number of zones I wanted.
It is also installed in a property that has metalwork supporting the floorplan of each of three levels.
I have installed the controllers on the ground floor in a central hallway.

The TRVs communicate with the controllers without problems.
So there is reason to be optimistic that your controller(s) and TRV heads will communicate with each other especially if you can site the controller(s) appropriately and your TRVs are not restricted in any way.

I have not, however, installed hot water control despite having stored hot water in the property.
As you may see from another thread relating to a smaller 2 bed flat, there appears to be more communications issues when installing stored hot water control in addition to heating control.
This appears to be due to the need to keep BRD91s, CS92s and metal objects like cylinders way from each other.
If you are planning to site them all in an airing cupboard that just about accommodates the cylinder then this will be an issue.
Give consideration to this if you are wishing to install hot water control as well.

Separately, the multi-TRV installation was a retrofit to a property with a 2- year old central heating system.
The only problem I have had to date was a sticking pin in a TRV.
When the reported temperature in a bathroom hit over 30, I realised that there was a problem.
Entering said bathroom was like going into a sauna so I didn't really need the Evohome controller to tell me that there was a problem.
A wiggle of the TRV pin with a pair of long nosed pliers has solved the problem for now but I will change the TRV if I ever need to drain down the system.
My point is that installing a Evohome may reveal other areas of the system that need an update.

I hope this gives encouragement and guidance.
Francis