DHW turns on at 15oC even when switched off

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
daddypew

DHW turns on at 15oC even when switched off

Post by daddypew »

I have Evohome setup (ATC928G3000) around the house for a number of years and have used the "Stored Hot Water"(DHW) function to control our HotTub heating (no DHW cylinder).
Hot tub is set up with a 2 port zone valve via BDR91 Wireless Relay Box and CS92A Cylinder Thermostat with a Swimming pool heatexchanger to heat the water.
Everything works as it should with Evohome DHW set to 40oC it controls the tub temperature when I need it heated.
However, when I turn the DHW heating off, the temperature of the tub will drop over the next few days to approx 15oC then the boiler and BDR91 switch on and tub starts to heat up for 30-40 mins . How do I stop this behaviour to allow the tub to drop much lower in winter (I'll add some secondary automation to prevent freezing)
Is there a setting I can change to prevent this ?
Thanks

[img]20231203_081848.jpg[/img]
Attachments
20231203_081848.jpg
20231203_081848.jpg (190.41 KiB) Viewed 347 times
gazza77

Re: DHW turns on at 15oC even when switched off

Post by gazza77 »

I can't provide an answer, however we have a similar set up for hot water provision, and it's turning itself on whenever the temp falls to 16c. That happens irrespective of timed control and can be either when the heating is off or on.
gazza77

Post by gazza77 »

Follow up comment, I'm wondering if it is the frost protection on the boiler, as it only happens over winter and our boiler is in an outhouse.
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

daddypew wrote:I have Evohome setup (ATC928G3000) around the house for a number of years and have used the "Stored Hot Water"(DHW) function to control our HotTub heating (no DHW cylinder).
Hot tub is set up with a 2 port zone valve via BDR91 Wireless Relay Box and CS92A Cylinder Thermostat with a Swimming pool heatexchanger to heat the water.
Everything works as it should with Evohome DHW set to 40oC it controls the tub temperature when I need it heated.
However, when I turn the DHW heating off, the temperature of the tub will drop over the next few days to approx 15oC then the boiler and BDR91 switch on and tub starts to heat up for 30-40 mins . How do I stop this behaviour to allow the tub to drop much lower in winter (I'll add some secondary automation to prevent freezing)
Is there a setting I can change to prevent this ?
Thanks

[img]20231203_081848.jpg[/img]
As the hot water kit is designed to protect hot water cylinders, using it 'out of scope' means it is going to do this as evohome is frost protecting the 'cylinder'. :geek:
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
daddypew

Post by daddypew »

The EVOHOME Shop wrote:
As the hot water kit is designed to protect hot water cylinders, using it 'out of scope' means it is going to do this as evohome is frost protecting the 'cylinder'. :geek:
Seems a feasible answer, thankyou.
Shame as the function works perfectly otherwise.
I dont suppose there's a way to totally disable the HotWater control temporarily ?
that way I can choose when to have it active and when not
Thanks
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

No, because otherwise you would disable the frost protection when its used correctly? This system wasn't designed to heat hot tubs... ;) :lol:
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
daddypew

Post by daddypew »

The EVOHOME Shop wrote:No, because otherwise you would disable the frost protection when its used correctly? This system wasn't designed to heat hot tubs... ;) :lol:
So, my particular problem now solved .... I realise not in scope of normal Evohome setup, so not recommending this, but just for information ...
I've added a parallel resistor to the temperature sensor to offset the actual temperature, in my case 39KR so now temperature can drop to approx 5oC before frost protection kicks in. Obviously the temperature reading is now incorrect, at 40oC actual will read approx 43oC but solved with minor change on target setpoint.