HR92 - room temperature exceeds settings in 2 areas

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
dani

HR92 - room temperature exceeds settings in 2 areas

Post by dani »

Hi
I have an evohome with 5 areas. One is floor heating, the other 4 have HR92. In two of them, the radiators get extremely hot, ignoring the set temperature. I have tried binding/unbinding, full reset, changing batteries, nothing works. In the controller, both rooms have "remote sensor" as temperature sensor. I have also ordered, yet to arrive, two DTS92.

Any suggestions how to avoid this waste?

thanks,
Dani
Richard
Site Admin

Re: HR92 - room temperature exceeds settings in 2 areas

Post by Richard »

Radiators get hot? What is the actual room temp?

Are the HR's in free air or are they blocked by sofas, beds, etc?

Have a look at this - https://youtu.be/kEAD-IkXRrY
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
Archie32

Post by Archie32 »

I also have a multi room setup and I have found if an HR92 is calling for 100% from the boiler relay, for example when a particular schedule for a room is activated, it will cause zones already at a setpoint, possibly having been so for hours, to then start to overshoot.

The degree of overshoot is dependent on how long it takes the new room calling for heat to reach its setpoint (the longer it takes, the higher the overshoot) but also how many other zones are at setpoint with valves partially open. If I have several zones at setpoint and a new zone requiring 100% from the boiler relay, then the overshoot isn't too bad as the DCH flow is shared across the several radiators. If I have just one zone at setpoint and a new zone calling for 100%, then the radiator of the zone at setpoint will quickly rise by as much as 1.5c before the not so smart Evohome will then close the valve and allow that zone to drop back to its setpoint. It's for this reason that I try to schedule zones as close to each other as possible, especially in the morning/evening as this eliminates the overshoot as each zone is calling for 100% at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, Evohome seems very good at maintaining a set temperature but it doesn't seem smart enough to compensate for new zones calling for heat and the impact this may have on zones already at setpoint. I am using Opentherm, which constantly adjusts the DCH flow temperature, so this may also be an additional variable.
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Archie32 wrote:I also have a multi room setup and I have found if an HR92 is calling for 100% from the boiler relay, for example when a particular schedule for a room is activated, it will cause zones already at a setpoint, possibly having been so for hours, to then start to overshoot.

The degree of overshoot is dependent on how long it takes the new room calling for heat to reach its setpoint (the longer it takes, the higher the overshoot) but also how many other zones are at setpoint with valves partially open. If I have several zones at setpoint and a new zone requiring 100% from the boiler relay, then the overshoot isn't too bad as the DCH flow is shared across the several radiators. If I have just one zone at setpoint and a new zone calling for 100%, then the radiator of the zone at setpoint will quickly rise by as much as 1.5c before the not so smart Evohome will then close the valve and allow that zone to drop back to its setpoint. It's for this reason that I try to schedule zones as close to each other as possible, especially in the morning/evening as this eliminates the overshoot as each zone is calling for 100% at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, Evohome seems very good at maintaining a set temperature but it doesn't seem smart enough to compensate for new zones calling for heat and the impact this may have on zones already at setpoint. I am using Opentherm, which constantly adjusts the DCH flow temperature, so this may also be an additional variable.
What flow temperature is being called for when the new demand occurs?
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home