Am I using my Evohome efficiently ?

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
BobMahelp

Am I using my Evohome efficiently ?

Post by BobMahelp »

Dear all,

We've recently installed Evohome in our Victorian house....we have quite a few rooms and we wanted better control over our heating as well as hoping to reduce usage.

With the old (moveable) thermostat, we would usually place it in the coldest place in the house, by the back door, and set it to 19 degrees all day long. That meant the heating came on without having to set the temperature above 20 degrees, and we simply left it on all day and turned the radiators off in the rooms we didn't use.

Now with Evohome though, things are different. We're enjoying the control it gives us in other rooms of the house, but the living room is an issue. It's a large room with a high ceiling and we're finding that to keep the room comfortable and heated, we have to set the two radiators in the room at a permanent 23 degrees. We do set it lower though in the hours we're out the house, but when we're in the room from around 16.00 until bed time, we have to set the temperature higher than we'd like to, to get it to come on.

I suppose my question is, is using Evohome like this more efficient in the long term than having the old thermostat set at a permanent 19 degrees ?
Keith.barrett

Re: Am I using my Evohome efficiently ?

Post by Keith.barrett »

Hi Bob,

Interesting post, I am in a similar position to yourself.

As to your specific point, if the old stat was at the coldest point, would that suggest that the living room was more than 19 degress while the stat in the coldest place was showing 19 degrees so I am thinking that maybe you were not aware that the previous lounge temperature was above 19 degrees.

Also, if you are using the HR92 to measure the temperature, that is going to be close to the rads so I suspect the temperature in your room will be lower than 23 once you get away from the radiators.

We have an old house here built around 1910 with 15 radiators, some of them in zones together. We have set the rooms we are not using much, spare bedrooms e.t.c. to a temperature of around 10 degress but allow them an hour or two at 16 just to keep the damp/cold at bay.

We are on oil heating so I am looking at how much oil is being used but it is too early to come to any conclusions yet.

Regards

Keith Barrett
Bridgend Wales
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Am I using my Evohome efficiently ?

Post by Richard »

BobMahelp wrote:Dear all,

We've recently installed Evohome in our Victorian house....we have quite a few rooms and we wanted better control over our heating as well as hoping to reduce usage.

With the old (moveable) thermostat, we would usually place it in the coldest place in the house, by the back door, and set it to 19 degrees all day long. That meant the heating came on without having to set the temperature above 20 degrees, and we simply left it on all day and turned the radiators off in the rooms we didn't use.

Now with Evohome though, things are different. We're enjoying the control it gives us in other rooms of the house, but the living room is an issue. It's a large room with a high ceiling and we're finding that to keep the room comfortable and heated, we have to set the two radiators in the room at a permanent 23 degrees. We do set it lower though in the hours we're out the house, but when we're in the room from around 16.00 until bed time, we have to set the temperature higher than we'd like to, to get it to come on.

I suppose my question is, is using Evohome like this more efficient in the long term than having the old thermostat set at a permanent 19 degrees ?
If you have more than one radiator in the room, I would suggest having a DT4R as a sensor (https://thesmartthermostatshop.co.uk/pr ... ermostats/) in the room to give you the accuracy of the temperature you desire.
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home