Installer for opentherm, VR33 in Vaillant ecotec 832 combi

Anything to do with OpenTherm and Honeywell Home products in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
evohomeuserswlondon

Installer for opentherm, VR33 in Vaillant ecotec 832 combi

Post by evohomeuserswlondon »

Hi everyone
It is my first post here. I'll list the quick question and then a bit of background below. The immediate question is: Does anyone know of an installer in London and the the south east who successfully installed a VR33 module and open therm bridge for an evohome thermostat on a Vaillant ecotec 832plus boiler?

Here is a bit of background:
We bought an Evohome thermostat pack from the evohomeshop with HR92 controllers for our new Vaillant ecotec 832 combi boiler in 2019. I was hoping to use the open therm bridge but then subsequently found out it wasn't compatible with Vaillant so we used the BDR91 controller.

The BDR91 controller broke over the Summer so I thought I would take the opportunity to buy the VR33 module and install the open therm bridge. I know it invalidates the guarantee but we only have 5 years because it wasn't installed by a Vaillant registered engineer. I feel OK taking the risk of installation and fairly confident that the boiler will last. I finally got the VR33 module from Belgium about 3 weeks ago but a local engineer wasn't able to make it work. This is why I wondered if anyone knew of an installer who has successfully made it work. I did order a new BDR91 bridge as back up but I would like to use opentherm if possible.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Best Wishes
Richard
OptiMiser

Re: Installer for opentherm, VR33 in Vaillant ecotec 832 com

Post by OptiMiser »

Any idea which bit isn't working? You probably need to unpair the old BRD91, pair the OT bridge, ensure OT bridge is talking to boiler, that boiler knows it now has an OT module, etc. The "System Summary" in the "hidden" config menu might help you understand what Evohome thinks it has to control (boiler relay or OT module for example).
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Installer for opentherm, VR33 in Vaillant ecotec 832 com

Post by Richard »

evohomeuserswlondon wrote:Hi everyone
It is my first post here. I'll list the quick question and then a bit of background below. The immediate question is: Does anyone know of an installer in London and the the south east who successfully installed a VR33 module and open therm bridge for an evohome thermostat on a Vaillant ecotec 832plus boiler?

Here is a bit of background:
We bought an Evohome thermostat pack from the evohomeshop with HR92 controllers for our new Vaillant ecotec 832 combi boiler in 2019. I was hoping to use the open therm bridge but then subsequently found out it wasn't compatible with Vaillant so we used the BDR91 controller.

The BDR91 controller broke over the Summer so I thought I would take the opportunity to buy the VR33 module and install the open therm bridge. I know it invalidates the guarantee but we only have 5 years because it wasn't installed by a Vaillant registered engineer. I feel OK taking the risk of installation and fairly confident that the boiler will last. I finally got the VR33 module from Belgium about 3 weeks ago but a local engineer wasn't able to make it work. This is why I wondered if anyone knew of an installer who has successfully made it work. I did order a new BDR91 bridge as back up but I would like to use opentherm if possible.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Best Wishes
Richard
A 'few' people have made this work, but unsure if it was with a 832 (but I can't see why it wouldn't). I've not personally fitted one.
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home