Honeywell R8810 lights

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
Neth27

Honeywell R8810 lights

Post by Neth27 »

Hi I’m running my combi boiler with Evohome and the opentherm bridge. I looked at the R8810 on a off chance and the light on the front was flashing red twice very quickly around every 5 seconds. I couldn’t find any where on the net about what colour led light should be lit on the front of it. It’s been running for over a year now and I never noticed the colour of the led light before.
I turned the power off on the boiler and back on again and the light flashed green about every 20 seconds but a couple of hours later went back to flashing red.
The boiler still fires up and heats the radiators, but I wondered is the Opentherm part working?
Thanks for any help.. john
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Honeywell R8810 lights

Post by Richard »

Hi John,

Difficult to diagnose OpenTherm issues without an OpenTherm gateway and monitor.

My guess would be the wiring or the RF comms are being hindered possibly?
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
lloyd

Post by lloyd »

I think the details are on the installation instructions. I'll try and find them for you tomorrow.
Neth27

Post by Neth27 »

Thanks for that. I looked at the instructions, they don’t mention the lights flashing the way mine do. Then everything the lights refer to says a binding problem, which I have checked and it is bound to the controller.
What colour are the lights suppose to be when the R8810 is running normally? This isn’t mentioned in the instructions :D
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Neth27 wrote:What colour are the lights suppose to be when the R8810 is running normally? This isn’t mentioned in the instructions :D
Just a single green flash, every 10 seconds.

Any chance of installation images?
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
Neth27

Post by Neth27 »

Thanks for the reply. I can’t really get photos of the set up, but it must be wired in ok. If I power the boiler off and back on I get the green light flashing. Then a bit later on it goes back to flashing red again.
dbpianos

Post by dbpianos »

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I ask because I have tried - unsuccessfully - to connect an R8810 to control my boiler from an Evohome Controller (ATC928G3000). After seeming to bind successfully the OT bridge then begins to display a pattern of 3 quick red LED flashes every few seconds, which according to the error table indicates an OpenTherm communication error. I have now tried this with two different R8810 units and even briefly tried using an OpenTherm-capable thermostat instead of the Evohome Controller to try to rule out a problem with that.

I hesitate to mention (having read other threads in a similar vein) that the boiler is a Viessmann 100-W (WB1B) in heat-only configuration.

I have reverted to using a BDR91 relay to control the boiler on/off.
Neth27

Post by Neth27 »

dbpianos wrote:Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I ask because I have tried - unsuccessfully - to connect an R8810 to control my boiler from an Evohome Controller (ATC928G3000). After seeming to bind successfully the OT bridge then begins to display a pattern of 3 quick red LED flashes every few seconds, which according to the error table indicates an OpenTherm communication error. I have now tried this with two different R8810 units and even briefly tried using an OpenTherm-capable thermostat instead of the Evohome Controller to try to rule out a problem with that.

I hesitate to mention (having read other threads in a similar vein) that the boiler is a Viessmann 100-W (WB1B) in heat-only configuration.

I have reverted to using a BDR91 relay to control the boiler on/off.
Never got to the bottom of it. It still flashes red, but it’s working okay, so I have just left it.