BDR91 vs BDR91T?

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
pootle

BDR91 vs BDR91T?

Post by pootle »

I bought a Value pack A, and I've just noticed I got a BDR91 and a BDR91T instead of 2 off BDR91.

The look pretty much the same inside, can I use a BDR91T as BDR91 (to control the valve on the hot water circuit).

It's a while since I bought it, initially I only wired up the heating controls, as I was waiting for some other work to be done on the hot water cylinder.

So I've only just got round to setting up the hot water sensor etc.
Richard
Site Admin

Re: BDR91 vs BDR91T?

Post by Richard »

The only difference between the BDR91T and a normal BDR91 is the 'T's' ability to control heat pumps over and above its normal functions.
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
mazzy89

Post by mazzy89 »

Despite the explanation, it is still not very clear to me the real difference.

I would like to use the BDR91A to control the hot water cylinder. can I use it? or should I necessarily use the BDR91T?
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

mazzy89 wrote:Despite the explanation, it is still not very clear to me the real difference.

I would like to use the BDR91A to control the hot water cylinder. can I use it? or should I necessarily use the BDR91T?
BDR91T is specifically for heat pumps, but can also be used for everything else. BDR91A won't work with heat pumps.
peter269

Post by peter269 »

So can you explain why the BDR91A can't be used for heat pumps please? (I already have a BDR91A controlling my boiler and am thinking of getting a heat pump)

Surely both the BDR91A and BDR91T just switch the mains on and off in response to a signal from the Evohome controller. Is it a question of current carrying capacity or what?

Thanks
cfrd

Post by cfrd »

The function of the BDR91T is to protect the heat pumps from frequent switching and therefore wear. The BDR91T function determines the time for restarting the heat pump: if the set time has not elapsed, the pump will not start. This is according to the description at https://www.bolasystems.com/wireless-re ... bdr91t1004 .
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

peter269 wrote:So can you explain why the BDR91A can't be used for heat pumps please? (I already have a BDR91A controlling my boiler and am thinking of getting a heat pump)

Surely both the BDR91A and BDR91T just switch the mains on and off in response to a signal from the Evohome controller. Is it a question of current carrying capacity or what?

Thanks
It doesn't have the appropriate firmware for heat pump control, especially when cooling is involved.